Monday, February 20, 2012

Ethiopia - First Lunch


1-24-12
4:15pm

Dear Feven,
As I write, you are asleep on Daddy's chest.  As he breathes, your little body moves with his chest.  Your arms are hanging at your sides - you are sleeping heavily!


I don't think you are feeling well today.  Your nose has been running and running, and you are coughing a lot.  You are drooling a lot and fussing too, so maybe you are getting teeth.  Who knows!  All I know is that this is the 2nd time I've seen you today and the third time you've fallen asleep on us!  I'm glad you feel safe enough with us to sleep.  I'm glad your little body is getting some rest.  I'm glad you're sleeping.

While you are sleeping, I thought I would write down the story of our first time feeding you.  We all had a lot of laughs!

This morning when our translator walked into the room near the end of our visit with you, she said it was going to be lunchtime soon and we could feed you if we wanted.  We of course said yes!  She brought a container of mashed-up potatoes and carrots in a broth with garlic and onions.  It smelled so good, and you were HUNGRY!

We tried to take off your pretty outfit before we fed you, but you would not have it!  You wanted to eat - NOW!  I held you on my lap and tried to hold you with your arms pinned so you would not grab for the bowl and tip it over.  You did not like this much, either.

You began to cry, and our translator suggested that maybe I was feeding you too slowly.  I tried to speed it up a little, and you liked that better.  However, soon you began coughing and the food shot all over!  We all started laughing and I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes!  I could hardly see to keep feeding you, but we couldn't stop or else you would get mad!

You coughed food onto your pretty outfit, my pretty outfit, my face, and Daddy's face.  It was everywhere! Even later that night I still found food in my hair and on my face!  I will always remember that first time feeding you!

No comments:

Post a Comment